Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Wonderland

If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be it would, You see? (Alice)

Although I have yet to encounter Big Foot, I am able to continue with my Alice in Wonderland references as I hiked a tiny portion of the 91 mile Wonderland Trail that travels the circumference of Rainier. I picked up the trail at Longmire (which is the part of the park where I work) and hiked 1 1/2 miles up the trail, the Nisqually River accompanying me on the east and Paradise Road to the west, up to Carter Falls trailhead. It was another beautiful sunny day. The wind alternated between refreshing cool breezes to warming zephyrs (a tribute to my baby girl). The contrasting landscapes from my first hike to my second hike attests to the breadth of experiences one can enjoy here. Thursday, I struggled to snowshoe up an open snow field at 6000 feet with the sun beating down on me. Friday, I leisurely wandered a snowpacked trail protected by the mighty towering evergreens at half the altitude. Today, after work, I strolled down the street to the where the Nisqually River runs 1 mile from my lodging. Everyday is a new adventure.

No comments: