Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Wild, Wild West


Today has been the best road trip day yet. I am sitting at Mount Rushmore this evening typing a draft for my blog. The sun is peeking around Mount Rushmore giving it a heavenly glow. Mount Rushmore is really astounding. The detail is unbelievable. It's their eyes that are amazing, giving them lifelike expression. It looks just like they are gazing out, watching all of America. I have truly enjoyed driving through South Dakota. I wish I had a covered wagon so I could ride through the grasslands. I actually had tumbleweed roll out in front of my car on the highway. That was a hoot. It was a gorgeous day to drive. A pheasant ran across the highway in front of my car. I saw buffalo and deer grazing on the plains. Lots of cows. It was in the 80's today. Don't be jealous. I'm driving into snow tomorrow. I stopped at the famous Wall Drug today. South Dakota is billboard capital of America. The highway is stacked with billboards and many of them are for Wall Drug. The propaganda made me stop and see what all the hoopla was about. It's a sleepy little frontier town with a mini mall that has all the western wear and Indian crafts you could want. I hung out at a local coffee shop in downtown Rapid City, SD for the afternoon trying to debate my next move. I consulted with a woman at a travel store called Roam'n Around who introduced me to a website dedicated to couch surfing. It is totally legit so I'm hoping to hook up with free couch surfing. Don't worry I haven't forgot about Rule # 1: Safety First. I am staying at a KOA tonight where I am currently typing my blog from inside my tent. Lov'n it! I'm taking advantage o the good weather while it lasts. Good Day!


1 comment:

sistarae said...

Wall Drug was a blessing for me after coming out of a lightning storm in the Badlands... LOVE the Jackalope pic!