Monday, April 28, 2008

Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin; but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever say in my life!--Day Three


Alice: Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?
The Cat: That depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Alice: I don't much care where.
The Cat: Then it doesn't much matter which way you go.
Alice: …so long as I get somewhere.
The Cat: Oh, you're sure to do that, if only you walk long enough.
(Lewis Carroll)
I had a fitful night of sleep at the Stanford Hostel, mostly due to the outing club partying to the wee hours of the morning. I'm pretty sure they were performing a drug induced vision dance, similar to the Native American pow wow, around a meager bonfire. I believe they were trying to awaken the spirit of Bigfoot to aid in my journey westward. I arose early in hopes of getting my windshield wipers fixed. Blessed Be-- the National Tire and Battery Auto Center is open on Sunday and does repairs. I spent the morning surfing the web and chugging The Dew at Panera Bread in Macedonia, OH, very similar to that of Windham, ME. It was not the wiper lever as I had suspected but the goddamn wiper transition motor, not an easy part to acquire I was told. Ray, at NTB, is the man! He worked some minor miracle, which I believe was partially manifested by the pagan witch dance around the fire last night, and I was on my way to Chicago before noon! Ya-Hooey! The rest of the road trip to Chicago was uneventful. I managed to maneuver my way through rush hour 5 o'clock traffic with ease and arrived safely at the Chicago Hostel. I dream of a peaceful evening in a private room and going to bed early to catch up on sleep. HA! My reservation was totally screwed up. FYI- Never book a hostel on-line, call the hostel directly because my night in OH was messed up too. I am in a room lined with four bunk beds, definitely not a private room, right next to the subway train! In an experiment conducted using the authentic scientific method, I took 10 consecutive split time trials using the stopwatch on my cell phone to determine how often the train passes directly by my bed. The results were startling! The train rattles by my room an average of every 2 minutes and 20 seconds, sometimes the north and southbound trains passing at the same time, doubling the noise factor. Tonight is a good night to pop a Quaalude and pray for a good night sleep so I can tackle another 10 hour day of driving.

2 comments:

GeologyJoe said...

GO Kid Go!.

Ill add you to my blog roll.

Anonymous said...

Hi sis, Glad to hear things are rocking and rolling. Sucks about the wipers but could have been a lot worse eh! Take your time out there. Take some back roads. Get lost at least once. Rock on!!