Monday, April 28, 2008

Is that a Silo or are you just Happy to see me?


I am officially out west. I crossed the Mississippi River today. I have driven about 1,000 miles in the past two days. All of it has been through a landscape of amber waves of grain with the exception of the big city of Chicago splat in the middle of it. I have driven through hundreds of miles of corn fields, dotted with old, rundown farm houses and silos, stretching as far as you can see on both sides of the highway. It really is amazing how vast this country is. It was raining when I left Chicago this morning then I drove through a minor snow squall that lasted the entire length of Wisconsin. The industrial RainX the guys at NTB put on my windshield rocks. It sends the rain drops streaking across my windshield like tiny, little shooting stars. I barely had to use my wipers. So cool! My drive ended with the sun shining through puffy white clouds as I arrived in Sioux Falls, SD this evening. I visited Falls Park on the Big Sioux River in the Downtown area. These falls were visited by Lewis & Clark and served as the p0wer for the Queen Bee Mill and a Hydro-electric company. When I stepped out of my car at this tourist attraction I was knocked back by a marvelously putrid smell that brings up nostalgic memories of old school Westbrook. I forced myself to take a couple of pictures then ran back to my car gagg'n. I don't know how this could be a tourist attraction. It's more like a tourist repel-tion. I am sitting at a mom & pop diner, next to the Motel 6 I'm staying at, eating a greasy cheeseburger that I can almost guarantee I'm going to regret during my drive tomorrow.

2 comments:

GeologyJoe said...

I-90 all the way baby.

Let us know how Sturgis is/was.

Sasquatch Hunter said...

Sturgis is just another quiet town until August. When the hogs go wild! Let's Rally!!